There is no absolute rule to how often you should be bathing your dog. It depends on a lot of variables. One thing is for sure, there are many benefits, for both you and your furry friend, to enjoy bath time together.
- Removes dirt and odor – This seems somewhat obvious, but you always know it’s time for a bath when your dog is getting smelly. Baths, especially with some great smelling dog shampoo, are a straightforward way to keep your dog’s hygiene in tip-top shape. Make sure to avoid the dog’s ears, eyes, and nose with the shampoo.
- Strengthens bond with your dog – Spending time bathing your favorite four-legged friend helps fortify the relationship between the two of you, especially if your pup enjoys bath time. Dogs are relaxed by the repetitive motions and stimulation of being brushed and washed. Plus, the more often you wash your dog, the more likely they are to enjoy the experience. Especially if there are treats!
- Softer coat – Bathing your dog and using a nice moisturizing dog shampoo can help keep your dog’s coat nice and soft. Many dog owners will also use coconut oil or a natural conditioner after shampoo in order to maintain the moisture in their fur.
- Reduced shedding – The more often you bathe your dog, the less they are going to shed. If you are getting tired of vacuuming and picking up clumps of hair from your dog every day, a frequent bath followed by brushing your dog will help grab those loose hairs before they end up on your floor. A cleaner home for you!
- Helps with allergies (yours and theirs!) – Dog’s fur is the perfect place to trap allergens, dirt, and bacteria. If you or your dog suffers from allergies, you will benefit from bathing your dog more often. The more often dogs are bathed, the less allergens they will be carrying around in their fur. Washing helps not only your dog, but also you with keeping your allergies at bay.
- Helps monitor your dog’s health – As your bathe your dog, this acts as a time to take a close look at your dog to check to see if they’re healthy. During their bath, make sure to check their ears, teeth, nails, and skin to see if there is redness or anything abnormal. This time is also a great time to check for fleas, mites, or lice that way you can get these issues taken care of quickly.